How to... make Red Curry Paste
Nothing packs in the flavour like a home-made Thai curry paste. This spicy recipe will knock your socks off and can be stored in a jar in the fridge for about 3-4 months.
TIME TO MAKE (AFTER SOAKING): 10 MINUTES
1. In a wok over low heat, put the coriander seeds and cumin seeds and dry fry for about 5 minutes, then grind to a powder in a pestle and mortar.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the shrimp paste) and bash to a fine paste or you can use a blender, to mix well.
3. Add the coriander seed-cumin mixture and the shrimp paste and blend again to obtain about 3/4 cup of fine textured paste.
- 13 small dried chillies, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and de-seeded
- 3 tbsp. chopped shallots
- 4 tbs. chopped garlic
- 4cm piece fresh galangal or ginger, chopped
- 6 fresh kaffir lime leaves or the finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. chopped lemon grass
- 1 tsp. chopped coriander root
- 20 pepper corns
- 1 tbs. shrimp paste
- 1 tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tbs. cumin seeds